Established in 1896, the course was opened on 6th August of that year. The introduction of the railway line in the 19th century and the building of the present road (B993) was instrumental in the conception of the golf course layout and the formation of the golf club. The club celebrated its centenary in 1996 and produced a booklet covering the history of the club. The club has undergone many changes in its over 100 years of existence. The layout has been changed to accommodate farming needs during war time and more recently to allow for improved access to a new club house. To-day's daunting dog-leg 6th hole was the original 9th hole which finished at the old club house and car park.The pictures below show the course layout up to 1939 followed by the layout between 1951 and 1976. The current layout can be seen by clicking here.